Oracle Principal Database Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Manages and maintains all production and non-production databases. Responsible for standards and design of physical data storage, maintenance, access, and security administration. Performs backup and recovery on Database Systems, configures database parameters to meet or exceed business requirements. Optimizes database access and allocates/re-allocates database resources for optimum configuration, database performance, and cost. Supports multiple services and multiple databases of medium to high complexity (complexity defined by database size, technology used, systems feeds, and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility of data. Works on multiple projects as a project leader or sometimes as a project advisor. May coach more junior technical staff.
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events, and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions, and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Researches and implements new technologies to enhance/grow existing database infrastructure.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24×7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, Development)
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT, Database Administration, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in IT, Database Administration, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 10+ years of experience in IT, Database Administration, or related field
- Relevant Technology Certifications
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.