Principal Algorithms & Machine Learning Scientist at Walgreens
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens Omni-channel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
- Develops and deploys scalable algorithms and models for solving strategic business problems and driving value for Walgreens Boots Alliance, drawing from knowledge and experience in machine learning/AI, constrained optimization, statistical theory, graph theory, computational algorithms, or related fields. Application areas include (but are not limited to) prescription adherence improvement; patient health/outcome improvement; algorithmic process improvement/automation; labor scheduling and optimization; demand forecasting; supply chain optimization; capacity planning and network flow optimization; cost to serve optimization; pricing and promotions optimization; assortment and localization optimization; marketing intelligence; and personalization.
- Collaborates with business clients, product managers, data engineers, front end developers, and other team members to build and deploy scalable ML/AI infused applications, or other data centric products that incorporate constrained optimization, statistical theory, large-scale forecasting, etc.
- Develops and executes on ML/AI strategies and plans.
- Works with key stakeholders to formulate a comprehensive plan that is consistent with the overall business objectives and budgetary considerations.
- Develops the technical “vision” and designs specifications of assigned projects and may perform as implementation lead.
- Applies broad knowledge of AI/ML capabilities to identify new growth areas, new and emerging opportunities. Conducts research by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects. Recommends strategies by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Interacts with peers to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
- Mentors and develops less experienced ML scientists.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omni-channel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Physics, Mathematics, Computational or Decision Sciences, or a related quantitative field and at least 2 years of experience building and deploying scalable ML/AI or optimization/ forecasting applications.
- Mastery of at least one general purpose programming language (Python, C/C++, Rust, etc.).
- Experience in scaling/tuning the performance of algorithms.
- Advanced level knowledge of SQL.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Experience with TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe/Caffe2, Gluon, Keras, or similar frameworks
- Experience with cloud deployment of ML/AI or optimization/ forecasting applications (preferably Azure - including exposure to Azure HDInsight, Azure Databricks, Azure Kubernetes Service, etc.)
- At least 2 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 3 years of experience directly or indirectly managing people