Principal Data Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service. Our employees have always played a big part in our success. We support, challenge and inspire employees to continually develop their skills, advance their career and help grow our business.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Principal Data Engineer to join our Advanced Analytics Data team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their data needs, and build data pipelines using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis/Kafka. Additionally you will explore the use of Python, Scala, Spark APIs to enrich data for our data scientists.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Discover Financial Services data and its mission.
Where you can make an impact:
- Drive highly visible projects include translating business and technology requirements into our Cloud ETL/ELT architecture.
- Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, Apache Spark, Kinesis, Java, NoSQL DBs, AWS EMR.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as AWS cloud & platform engineering, DBAs and business teams.
- Provide our highest senior level technical capabilities to architect and implement our data on cloud roadmap.
- Highly productive: Ability to deliver with minimal oversight on a day-to-day basis. This role is intended for somebody who is passionate about data and developing solutions to generate data insights.
- Fierce fast attitude: Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment with other high caliber engineers
- Multi-tasking and prioritization expertise: Enjoy balancing numerous different priorities and demands.
- Learner: Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies
- Leader: Decision making capabilities while gathering information and demonstrating leadership to management, and junior level staff.
Responsible for using knowledge to apply a hands-on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to the team that delivers the latest data-driven platforms & next generation analytic technologies.
- Provides senior-level technical consulting to peer-data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects.
- Provides engineering leadership to create and enhance data solutions enabling seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks leveraging Open-Source tools such as NiFi, Sqoop, Hive, Java, Pig, Python, as well as data processing/transformation frameworks leveraging Open-Source tools.
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models.
- Designs and develops real-time processing solutions using Open-Source tools.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
- Experience in Agile methodologies
- Experience with SQL is a must and exposure to Snowflake
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java
- Well versed with Linux/Unix operating system
- Prior experience with Banking or Financial domain
- Good understanding of Big Data technology trends, with knowledge of technologies such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Hive, pySpark
- Experience with one of the ETL tools Abinitio, Informatica or Data Stage
- Experience with AWS Cloud Services
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!