Principal Data Governance Consultant
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As the Principal Data Governance Consultant, you will drive the people, process, and technology behind the Data Quality program at Discover Financial Services, while implementing an industry leading DQ tool.
Evolve and implement our long-term enterprise data management program as a leader of the Enterprise Data Governance team. Drive the data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management programs.
As a data governance practitioner you will lead team members in executing data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management activities. Evolve the policies, processes and tools that we have implemented around our data governance program. Build productive working relationships with Business Technology and Business Unit teams to mature and implement a data governance strategy. You will also be involved in oversight for regulatory activities like privacy compliance and financial reporting, as well as data cataloging and classification while providing leadership and applying data governance concepts, principles, and frameworks.
* Perform as a product owner and team lead with application development teams, data stewards, subject matter experts and other business and IT staff to execute data governance initiatives.
* Lead metadata management utilizing our data catalog tool building out our business glossary, data stewardship, data lineage, and metadata framework capabilities.
* Utilize data profiling and data quality tools with various data sources to uncover and determine root causes of data quality issues and then work with the data stewards to repair the existing data errors and implement remediation steps to prevent data errors from occurring in the future.
* Mature our data stewardship program and work with data stewards in business value added data initiatives.
* Evolve data governance policy and standard writing and review along with developing short presentations for the department and senior level executives.
* Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on IT data management policies, procedures, standards and controls.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
* Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems administration, business administration or an alternative technology related field or equivalent experience.
* 6 years of Enterprise Data Governance, IT, project management, internal audit, or consulting experience
* Deep understanding of data governance concepts and tools.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
* Proficient in Word, Excel, Project, Visio and PowerPoint.
* Strong interpersonal skills including effective negotiation, conflict management, and ability to develop strong working relationships.
* Ability to create and deliver presentations on Data Governance topics to all levels of the company.
* Self-starter with the initiative to act upon opportunities with little direction and moderate oversight.
* Working knowledge of Cloud, Teradata, or Oracle databases.
* Experience with Data Catalog, metadata management and business glossary tools like Alation, Collibra, ASG Brocade, DAG Metacenter or IBM Business Glossary.
* Experience with Data Quality (DQ) tools like Ab Initio DQE, IBM Quality Stage, Trillium, or SAS Data Flux
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master’s Degree in computer science, information systems administration, business administration or an alternative technology related field or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, Data Quality
- Relevant technology certifications
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!