Principal Data Platform Engineer (DevOps) at Discover (North Suburbs, IL)
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
*** BASED ON CANDIDATE PREFERENCE THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED IN OUR HEADQUARTERS IN RIVERWOODS ILLINOIS OR OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO OFFICE ***
In this role, you will use your experience and hands-on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that performs custom (JS/Java)application development work utilizing container (Docker, Kubernetes &OpenShift Container platform) and cloud (AWS) platforms.
Responsible for using experience and hands-on approach with next-generation technologies to contribute to the team that delivers the latest data-driven platforms and next-generation analytic technologies.
- Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies.
- Work closely with clients and BT team members to understand the departmental stakeholder requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions will be aligned with Discover and BT strategies and compliant with DFS’s architectural standards.
- Involved in the full life cycle of application and platform development, including design and implementation of build, release, deployment and configuration activities.
- Build application and pipelines that enable data scientists and business analysts to easily consume cloud-native services.
- Build change control process for deploying data science models into different environments like dev, UAT, Prod.
- Develop PoC’s using emerging technologies for real-time and big data analytics.
- Design and support container image lifecycle management systems.
- Builds and leads a high-performing, Agile team focused on next-generation data and analytic technologies.
- Provides senior-level technical consulting to create and enhance analytic platforms and tools that enable state of the art, next-generation Big Data capabilities to analytic users and applications.
- Provides senior-level technical consulting to application development teams during application design and development for highly complex and critical data projects.
- Be part of teams delivering all data projects, including migration to new data technologies for unstructured, streaming, and high-volume data.
- Develops and deploys distributed computing Big Data applications using Open Source frameworks.
- Utilizes programming languages like Java, Python, and NoSQL databases like Cassandra.
- Utilizes Hadoop modules such as YARN & MapReduce, and related Apache projects such as Hive, Hbase, Pig.
- Leverages DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation, and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of end-user capabilities.
- Builds and administers large scale data platforms such as Hadoop Data Lake, integrating next-gen data analytic tools into the Big Data ecosystem. Expertise in real-time data technologies.
- Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies
- Work closely with clients and BT team members to understand the departmental stakeholder requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions will be aligned with Discover and BT strategies and compliant with DFSs architectural standards
- Involved in the full life cycle of application and platform development, including design and implementation of build, release, deployment and configuration activities
- Build application and pipelines that enable data scientists and business analysts to easily consume cloud-native services
- Build change control process for deploying data science models into different environments like dev, UAT, Prod
- Develop PoCs using emerging technologies for real-time and big data analytics.
- Design and support container image lifecycle management systems
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration, Engineering, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration, Engineering, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 2+ years hands-on experience with Linux Containers and container clustering technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes and Open Container Project
- 4+ years experience in Languages/Scripting: Java, various shell flavors bash ,YAML, JSON.
- 4+ years working with container orchestration solutions (Kubernetes / OpenShift, Docker)
- 2+ years Linux/Unix experience including basic commands, shell scripting and solution engineering
- 1+ years’ experience working with PostgreSQL/Snowflake .
- Knowledge of Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) experience using OpenShift by Red Hat.
- Hands-on experience in enterprise application architecture and development skills
- Familiarity with Java development strongly desired; additional skills in Node.js, Spring and Play frameworks, Go, or .NET development are a plus
- Strong experience in Linux/Unix, Redhat/Ubuntu administration
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, IAM, Lambda, SNS, SQS, and S3
- Proficient with ANSI SQL
- Experience managing code on Github
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!