Senior Data Governance Consultant (Data Stewardship)
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Evolve and implement our long-term enterprise data management program as a member of the Enterprise Data Governance team. Drive the data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management programs.
As a Senior Data Governance Consultant you will work closely with team members in executing data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management activities. Learn the policies, processes and tools that we have implemented around our data governance program. Build productive working relationships with Business Technology and Business Unit teams to implement a data governance strategy. You will also be involved in oversight for regulatory activities like privacy compliance and financial reporting, as well as data cataloging and classification while providing leadership and applying data governance concepts, principles, and frameworks.
This role is focused on the Data Stewardship Program across the enterprise.
- Develops and codes solutions for metadata management, data quality, and sensitive data management activities.
- Designs solutions for metadata management, data quality, and sensitive data management activities.
- Implements improvements in architecture, team processes and functions.
- Work closely with application development teams, data stewards, subject matter experts and other business and IT staff to execute data governance initiatives.
- Participate in metadata management utilizing our data catalog tool building out our business glossary, data stewardship, data lineage, and metadata framework capabilities.
- Utilize data profiling and data quality tools with various data sources to uncover and determine root causes of data quality issues and then work with the data stewards to repair the existing data errors and implement remediation steps to prevent data errors from occurring in the future.
- Help us to expand our data stewardship program and work with data stewards in business value added data initiatives.
- Participate in data governance policy and standard writing and review along with developing short presentations for the department and senior level executives.
- Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on IT data management policies, procedures, standards and controls.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Technology
- 2+ years of experience in Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Information Technology or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Exposure to data governance concepts and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Project, Visio and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills including effective negotiation, conflict management, and ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Ability to make verbal presentations on Data Governance topics.
- Self-starter with the initiative to act upon opportunities with little direction and moderate oversight.
- Working knowledge of Cloud, Teradata, or Oracle databases.
- Experience with Data Catalog, metadata management and business glossary tools like Alation, Collibra, ASG Brocade, DAG Metacenter or IBM Business Glossary.
- Experience with Data Quality (DQ) tools like Ab Initio DQE, IBM Quality Stage, Trillium, or SAS Data Flux.
- Agile development methodologies or Lean Six Sigma
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!