Senior Data Governance Manager at Flexport
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include the SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, Google Ventures and Y Combinator.
With offices and infrastructure on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with passionate and resourceful team members.
We are looking for a bright, passionate and dedicated individual to join our Security Compliance team in building out Flexport’s Data Governance program. This position will include working closely with Security, Privacy, Operations, Data Analytics, Engineering, and Executive Management. Key responsibilities include implementing and owning a security and privacy first data governance capability to ensure Flexport has high quality information for making management decisions, enabling corporate strategies and meeting regulatory expectations.
What you’ll do:
- Establish the Data Governance Program through the design and build of data management, including documentation of ingestion points, process flows, storage, retention and deletion.
- Partner with Analytics and Engineering teams to provide visualization of the lineage of Flexport customer and enterprise data, highlighting transformations and aggregations from origination through to reporting.
- Promote a Data Governance culture throughout the organization and help manage data as an asset and minimize data risk; effectively motivate people, instill accountability and demonstrate the value of data across a wide range of individuals including engineers, data analysts, executives, business operations teams, customers, regulators, etc.
- Oversee, implement, and enforce a Data Governance Framework, Policies, Standards and Controls.
- Build a roadmap and provide regular reporting on Data Governance metrics and activities.
- Identify, define, and manage Data Domains and Elements, including the business and technical definitions, metadata and source of truth, and ensuring its full inclusion in the Data Governance tools and workflows.
- Integrate Data Governance into Flexport’s software product roadmap to make it simple for Flexport customers to understand and control what data is collected and easily manage who has access to that data and for what purpose. The product you’ll help build will make data discovery, access and use – simple, compliant and trustworthy
- Work with Data Owners throughout the enterprise to define Data Security Requirements for the data under their control
- Monitor ongoing compliance with the governance program to demonstrate adherence to the Data Governance Framework.
- Enforce compliance designed to meet international data standards
What you'll bring:
- End to end knowledge and experience implementing a Data Governance Program and willingness to apply the expertise to Flexport.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in managing Data Governance programs.
- Experience with data management tools such as Master Data Management, Metadata Management, Data Quality.
- Conceptual and functional experience in data processes and data modeling.
- Strong understanding of the intersection between business, analytics, engineering, and regulatory environments resulting in a proactive approach, focusing on reusable solutions, to improve efficiency and time to insight while minimizing data risk.
- Understanding of one or more industry and/or compliance regulations – PCI-DSS, HIPAA, ISO 27001, FedRAMP, SOC1/2, International Privacy requirements (Europe, EU Privacy, PAC Rim including Privacy Shield), preferred.
- Flexport’s Security Program is ISO 27001 based.
- In-depth knowledge of information security audit, risk management and policy compliance
- Understanding of enterprise cloud infrastructure and data platforms and software development and delivery practices.
- Strong listening and presentation skills necessary to understand, communicate with, and persuade, a wide range of audiences.
- The ability to travel globally, including China and Netherlands, is a firm requirement.
- Familiarity with the CMMI Institute Data Management Maturity (DMM) Framework is a plus.
- Familiarity with the freight forwarding/global trade industry is a plus.
Learn more at www.keyvalues.com/flexport
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.