Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $4 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
The Data Scientist is someone who has a deep understanding of Advanced Analytics and Machine Learning. The role will include work on descriptive analytics but will be more focused on building predictive/prescriptive models that can be deployed into production. A successful Data Scientist has shown experience in building models that have high impact timely results. You will communicate analyses and recommendations to cross-functional partners and decision-makers.
What You'll Do
- Strong understanding of business problems and identify analytic needs including machine learning algorithms suitable for solving said problem.
- Develop statistical models, machine learning and optimization efforts in support of data-driven strategies and decision making.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to define the advanced analytical modeling capabilities, enhancements and outcomes required to enable use cases.
- Perform data wrangling tasks required for machine learning use case to aggregate, transform, and check multiple data sources.
- Build, maintain and improve machine learning models to perform at scale in a production-ready environment.
- Develop new features and augment tools based on business requirements.
- Build and maintain a clear record of data hierarchy/lineage, to support best-in-class database management and model building.
- Work collaboratively with the Data Engineering and Data Analyst team members to design and build all necessary data pipelines and support other efforts required for the personalization vision.
- Work with other members of the team to peer review code, write unit tests, and provide feedback on data structuring and modeling approaches.
- Master’s degree in a quantitative field like Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or data science.
- Three to five years of experience using modeling, data science and optimization to solve real-world business problems.
- Ability to use Python and/or R.
- Knowledge of relevant languages/tools e.g., advanced Python, SQL, Spark, Git & GitHub, AWS EMR, AWS SageMaker, Dataiku or similar platforms.
- Experience applying the following methods in real-world applications: univariate and bi-variate statistics, association methods including but not limited, bagged and boosted decision trees, linear regression, logistic regression, Bayesian modeling, neural networks, times series analysis including but not limited to Box-Jenkin, Support Vector Machines, survival analysis, K-nearest neighbors.
- Strong ability to explain complicated technical concepts to non-technical partners.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym