Senior Data Scientist at SpotHero
Senior Data Scientists at SpotHero are product-focused data scientists that ideate and create products that have machine learning under the hood. You translate business needs into data science problems, advise stakeholders on next steps, develop PoC’s, design experiments to validate the value and performance of solutions, and transition impactful solutions into production. Throughout this process, you strike up close collaborations with our dedicated teams of business analysts, data engineers, machine learning engineers, product managers, and industry subject matter experts to help understand and mature solutions.
We are looking for someone with a passion for and a background in experimental design to join our team. You have experience in statistical inference, designing tests (A/B, multivariate, etc.), creating synthetic controls for experiments, etc. You also have sufficient experience in machine learning to know how to create, understand, and improve models. You value helping and advising non-specialists on how to design and conduct their own experiments. Over the course of your tenure at SpotHero, you will lay out our experimentation best practices and work across teams to champion them. Your contributions will directly impact major product roadmap and business decisions.
Who we are:
At SpotHero, we work as a team to empower people to get everywhere, easier! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace..
What will you do:
- Analyze large amounts of data to discover trends and patterns.
- Select methods, techniques, evaluation criteria and network with key contacts outside the data organization to obtain results.
- Take clear ownership of initiatives throughout the entire data science life cycle.
- Write concise, modularized code that handles data cleaning, data aggregation, data exploration and statistical or machine learning modeling.
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms.
- Be an active participant in the implementation, deployment and maintenance process of data science models.
Statistics / Experimentation
- Advise non-specialists around statistics and experimental design.
- Review the proposals and analysis of experiments.
- Serve as an advisor around statistics / experimentation.
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges.
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams.
- Propose methodologies, collect requirements, define scopes and procedures on new assignments and coordinate activities for members of the working team.
- Consult on complex issues where analysis of events or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors and multiple business stakeholders.
- Create presentations with data visualizations including those for public settings.
- Drive meetings inside and outside of the company.
- Write documentation that is clear and easily accessible within the squad and/or other team.
- Provide technical leadership by researching and introducing new technologies and give technical direction to other data scientists and engineers.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 2 years experience; or equivalent experience.
- Professional experience with statistical inference and experimental design as applied to product and business decisions.
- Proficiency with data science analysis and modeling packages in Python and/or R (including Pandas, Scikit-Learn, NumPy, Matplotlib/Seaborn/some other visualization tool).
- Good SQL skills.
- Strong ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders on business and technical subjects.
Nice to have:
- Experience with experimentation MLOps solutions such as ClearML, Pachyderm, etc.
- Experience with multiple data platforms and tools (eg. S3, Redshift, Airflow, Pipegen).
- Experience using distributed systems (eg. Spark, Presto, Docker, Kubernetes).
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits –
- In the US we cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD.
- Flexible PTO policy and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Annual parking stipend – we help people park!
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is ineligible for visa sponsorship. To be considered for this role, you must be legally authorized to work in Canada or the US and not require sponsorship for employment now or in the future.