Senior Principal Data Strategy Architect (Metadata & Data Quality)
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for designing and developing solutions to application, system administration, and network issues. Performs systems management and integration functions.
- Documents design specifications and installation instructions.
- Collaborates with technology partners to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Verifies the stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, and design changes.
- Drives optimal reference architecture that efficiently and effectively presents an integrated view of enterprise data for both operational and analytical needs.Test, maintain, and monitor computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to restore normal functioning.
- Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Use the computer in the analysis and solution of business problems, such as development of integrated production and inventory control and cost analysis systems.
- Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Collaborates with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff or clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Designs solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management, and data steward activities.
- Develops and codes solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management, and data steward activities.
- Implements some improvements in architecture, team processes, and functions.
- Understand the role of metadata in capturing data lineage, and supporting data quality
- Define/extend meta-models within a data cataloging repository.
- Documents current state data flows covering interfaces, data stores, transport technologies and the source and destination of data
- Creates target state data flows covering registered interfaces, alignment to reference architecture, alignment to sources of truth, Master data/CRM like solutions across the enterprise
- Promotes reusability with an enterprise view, simplifies architecture landscape
- Covers service-level requirements such as availability, volume of data, response time, and security and privacy.
- Provide guidance to application development areas by applying knowledge of data warehouse design, extract-transform-load (ETL) design and development
- Lead, mentor and coach data architects, applications architects and other team members
- Support the creation and implementation of data strategy and future state architecture
- Provide support for the roll-out of enterprise data modeling, data stewardship, metadata and data quality processes and tools.
- Present architecture vision to teams as well as to executive leadership
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Technical, or other related field
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Technical, or other related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 10+ years of relevant hands-on data architecture experience
- 4+ years of relevant hands-on exposure to building data and analytics solutions on AWS
- Knowledge of ETL architecture experience (Ab Initio or cloud-native tools)
- Knowledge and ability to promote innovative solutions for metadata and data quality.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven applications
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing data quality solutions for data-at-rest and data-in-motion at high velocity.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven data reconciliation and data quality solutions
- Experience with variety of databases e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Maria DB, Snowflake
- Experience with building data warehouses, marts, business intelligence reports and operational systems
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the data space and ability to recommend solutions
- Experience leading and mentoring other data architects
- Strong executive presentation skills
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.