Sr. Analyst - Search Strategy, Zoro
Position: Sr. eCommerce Search Analyst
Location: Chicago, IL or Buffalo Grove, IL
- This is a hybrid Business Analyst / Merchandising / Optimization role that will support Onsite Search Strategy and Search Relevancy. The role involves reporting and data analysis, basic data modeling and data flow management, and optimization and testing of search relevancy logic and features.
- This role will report to the Sr. Manager of Search Strategy in support of an agile development team that is responsible for the overall Browse and Search experience on the Zoro.com website. As part of a cross-functional team of 10-15, this role will help to analyze, document, and implement search engine changes to optimize the customer shopping experience.
- This position will assist the Sr. Manager of Search strategy in maintaining and evolving overall search strategy and strategy within particular categories. They will work closely with UX and Merchandising Managers to define search relevancy logic in relation to a) category b) search method and c) customer segmentation.
Responsibilities may shift or change priority based on evolving project needs, but will likely include:
- Act as subject matter expert of search tool sets and continuously identify opportunities for improvements to our search tool and algorithms used
- Analyze web KPIs related to the team’s ability to improve the customer experience and movement toward the purchase path and translate findings into project suggestions for continuous improvement
- Utilize Google Analytics, SQL, BigQuery and Excel to support and test decisions for relevancy logic enhancements
- Proactively investigate traffic, conversion, and performance trends using web analytics data or other methods such as ClickTale, Qualtrix, etc.
- Perform analysis of current-state and required-state data flows into and out of the search engine. Work closely with teams that enhance product data to ensure the process is working properly.
- Collaborate with Merchandising, Marketing and UX to devise, document and test new or revised search strategies to support individual category or customer segment needs, and then adjust as needed based on user feedback
- Define development requirements to support the enhancement of the shopping experience; work with developers to coordinate and A/B test these efforts in an agile development environment
- Provide general assistance with project analysis needs, including data quality and reconciliation, QA and UAT testing phases
- Position is an individual contributor and has no direct reports.
- Works closely with UX and Merchants to obtain useful primary and secondary qualitative research that fills in gaps that digital analytics cannot properly answer to address or solve business issues
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, data sciences or another quantitative field -OR- Bachelors in marketing or merchandising with no less than 3 years in a highly quantitative role.
- 3+ year experience in an online search, online analytics, optimization, data science or business analyst role
- Intermediate knowledge of creating custom reports in Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics or Site Catalyst
- Very comfortable working with data and numbers and with a high attention to detail, with the ability to quickly grasp complex concepts.
- Self-starter who is comfortable working in an entrepreneurial culture and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work closely cross-functionally with Category SME’s, Customer SME’s and Process SME’s
- Strong presentation skills with successful experience presenting complex concepts simply in order to drive decisions and consensus.
- Proactive, with a sense of ownership about one’s work, and able to work with limited supervision and deliver spot-on results
- Flexible and able to work in an environment where initiatives might start/stop/start, or pivot; where priorities could change requiring one to shift gears;
Preferred but not required
- Experience with SOLR, Endeca, GroupBy Searchandiser, Google Search Appliance or similar onsite search engines
- Experience with onsite search and merchandising for retail companies
- Ability to query using SQL, Python, and R.
- Experience with A/B Testing and Business Intelligence tools
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.