Sr. Data Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
The Enterprise Data Management team at Discover is looking for a Senior Data Engineer.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate in developing data driven solutions with current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
You will be giving opportunity to provide technical design and develop Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) applications that interface with all key Discover applications.
Knowledge of data warehousing concepts, SQL, Java or Python and experience with or a willingness to learn ETL tools (such as Ab Initio) are a must. Hands on experience with AWS/cloud technologies is a plus, as we evolve our technological needs into the future technological landscape.
- Provide business analysis and develop ETL code and scripting to meet all technical specifications and business requirements according to the established designs.
- Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, Apache Spark, Python and AWS-based solutions.
- Work heavily within the Cloud ecosystem and migrate data from Teradata to AWS-based platform.
- Utilize multiple development languages/tools such as Python, SPARK, Hive, Java to build prototypes and evaluate results for effectiveness and feasibility.
- Develop data driven solutions utilizing current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Provides senior level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects
- Deploys application code and analytical models using CI/CD tools and techniques and provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models.
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks leveraging open source tools such as NiFi, Sqoop, Hive, Java, Pig, Python, as well as data processing/transformation frameworks leveraging open source tools.
- Develop application systems that comply with the standard system development methodology and concepts for design, programming, backup, and recovery to deliver solutions that have superior performance and integrity.
- Contribute to determining programming approach, tools, and techniques that best meet the business requirements.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the analysis, preparation of specifications and plans for the development of data processes.
- Offer system support as part of a support rotation with other team members.
- Operationalize open source data-analytic tools for enterprise use.
- Ensure data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating data lineage, quality checks, and data classification.
- Understand and follow the company development lifecycle to develop, deploy and deliver the solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field/experience
- 2+ years of development and analysis experience in designing, developing, implementing & maintaining applications with relational and graph databases.
- Knowledge and experience using query languages (SQL, Cypher) for relational and graph databases
- Willingness to continuously learn & share learnings with others
- Capable of collaborating with stakeholders and project leaders to understand requirements, deliverables, and set expectations on tasks that you will be responsible for.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment is a must.
- Experience working in an agile and collaborative team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation and professional speaking skills.
- Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies.
- Hands-on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) based solutions such as Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake and S3
- Experience in migrating ETL processes (not just data) from relational warehouse databases to AWS based solutions
- Knowledge of data warehouse technologies (Linux/Unix/Teradata/Ab Initio)
- Experience within the financial industry
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!