We are seeking a Senior Machine Learning Engineer (MLE) to join our Data Engineering squad on our Reporting, Insights, and Predictions League (RIPL) at SpotHero. This squad interacts with a number of data consumers such as Data Science, Marketing, and our Business Analyst team to provide data platform solutions to meet day-to-day needs and their long-term visions.
In this role, you will focus heavily on enabling the work of our Data Scientists who will work with you on the same league. Machine Learning Engineers at SpotHero are responsible for using technology to make the data science team more effective, and to improve the scalability, security, reproducibility, and reliability of data science work.
Sound like your jam? Keep reading!
Who we are
SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking on-the-go or in advance, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What you will get to do
- Work with our data science, analytics, marketing teams to understand their data requirements and partner with Product to identify solutions that enable reusable workflows..
- Build frameworks and tools to help our data analysts and data scientists design and build their own data pipelines in a self-service manner. This extends to both open source and vendor managed solutions
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of our data platform solutions from the infrastructure layer up to the API.
- Model and architect our data in a way that will scale with the increasingly complex ways we’re analyzing it.
- Build robust pipelines that make sure data is where it needs to be, when it needs to be there.
Who you are
- Give Drivers the Right of Way - you take the Hero in our name seriously. You go the extra mile to make sure our drivers have an experience we're proud of.
- Drive Growth - you venture outside your comfort zone to accelerate growth. With a desire to learn and willingness to teach, reflection on the losses as well as the wins, and sharing and seeking feedback, you drive yourself and SpotHero forward.
- Fuel Relationships - you build strong relationships by intentionally getting to know another's situation, taking accountability for your work, showing vulnerability, and remembering that trust is a two-way street.
- Don’t Get Stuck in Traffic - you believe in empowering others to use their unique voices to solve problems and find different routes to success. With the humility to ask for help, flexibility to adapt, and the resilience to chart the uncharted, there are no limits to what you can achieve.
- Remember to Signal - we all strive to do our part in communicating openly and honestly with each other in moments big and small. You enjoy sharing ideas, keeping stakeholders informed, explaining the “why” behind decisions, and doing it all with care.
- Respect Fellow Drivers - you believe in respecting your fellow teammates and creating a safe space for everyone to get from here to there. You listen, assume positive intent, and seek to understand different perspectives.
- Enjoy the Ride - you don't sweat the small stuff. We know how to laugh, feel the wind in our hair, and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
What you bring to SpotHero
You might demonstrate the capabilities below through any combination of relevant professional experience, experience in a research setting, formal education, self-guided learning, open source contributions, or public speaking / writing / teaching experience. We care about your abilities, not how you gained them.
- You have experience contributing to software (pipelines, services and client libraries) that is run in Docker containers, automatically tested on a continuous integration (CI) system, and versioned in git. You have written software in at least one of Python, Java, or Kotlin, and you have experience writing shell scripts, Makefiles, or other configuration to glue together these components.
- You have some experience managing infrastructure, troubleshooting infrastructure issues, and managing infrastructure with code (e.g. with client libraries like the AWS CLI or with infrastructure-as-code tools like AWS CloudFormation or Terraform).
- You have some experience working with Data Scientists to transform experimentation and Proof-of-Concepts (PoCs) into fully-produced solutions. This can include both ad-hoc and vendored platform solutions.
- You have some experience building performant data pipelines that supply Data Science models.
- You are able to measure the impact of technical products across multiple domains through experimentation and statistical analysis.
- You have some experience with both object-oriented and functional programming. For example, you’ve written code with classes and with functions that take other functions as arguments.
- You have hands-on experience with at least one job scheduler (e.g. Airflow, prefect, Luigi, AWS Glue), one highly-customizable data processing framework (e.g. Spark, AWS Glue, Dask, Ray, Flink), and one SQL-based analytics tool (e.g. Hive, Amazon RedShift, Presto / Trino, Amazon Athena). You know what Amazon S3 is, you have some experience storing + retrieving data, and are open to learning how to use more while working at SpotHero.
- You enjoy providing support for software you create, including guidance and education on functionality,
- You have experience working independently, proactively working with stakeholders to identify requirements, and proposing designs based on those requirements.
- You may also have experience with:
- Microservices: Kubernetes or Mesos
- Caching Services: Redis, ElastiCache, or Memcached
- Relational Databases: Postgres, MySQL or Oracle
- Cloud Providers: AWS, GCP, or Azure
- SQL or other data modeling tools
Don’t check all of the boxes? Please still apply! We'd love to meet you and hear how you can help SpotHero drive into the future.
What we offer
- Career game changer – a truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits:
- In the US we cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, matching 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada, we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD, and very soon matched RRSP
- Flexible, unlimited PTO policy and supportive work-life balance – we value and support every Hero on the team, and create space for life!
- Annual parking stipend (we help people park!)
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- Our award-winning culture has received recognition from Built In’s 2021 Moxie Awards, as a 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others love working on!
At SpotHero, we Respect Fellow Drivers by providing an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process. Please let our team know of your need when you apply or as you begin interviewing with our team.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.