Engineering Manager - Tock at Tock
The Tock Engineering Team is looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager to participate in all aspects of software development while providing technical leadership to a team of software engineers. You'll help us build the next generation restaurant ticketing system, based on the tried and true (and proven) system deployed at world-class restaurants such as Alinea, Next, The French Laundry, and more. The ideal candidate has both technical and leadership experience and isn't afraid to jump in and lead by example. Our team is pretty small, and undergoing exponential growth, so there's a great opportunity for you to make a difference.
You will report directly to the Director of Engineering and will be located in Chicago, Illinois.
All Tock employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees.
You'll Get To...
- Manage a team of Software Engineers, including task planning and the occasional code review.
- Share knowledge with team members through a mentoring relationship, reviewing code, giving technical talks, or as a consultant on projects.
- Contribute to the use of software architecture, development of best practices, and new technologies. Be a leader within your team and the organization.
- Build next-generation web applications that are fast and responsive.
- Work with Product Management to ensure we're building great products.
- Build a feature or enhancement, starting with engineering design taking it all the way to production.
- Demonstrate problem solving and technical innovation capable of "rolling-up sleeves" and "getting hands dirty".
Who We're Looking For
- At least 10 years of experience writing software
- At least 5 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience
- Understand all parts of a modern web-based application stack from Frontend, Backend to Production
- A self-motivated individual who works well with little direction
- Enjoys being part of a team that works and learns together
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prefers to experiment and use data to promote decision-making
- Loves making and building things as part of a growing team
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan for all employees
- 401k with employer match
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Education reimbursement
- Commuter benefit in the form of pretax (US)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Charitable donation match
- Awarded Fast Company's "Most Innovative Companies" in 2021
- Awarded Built In's "Best Places to Work" in 2020, 2021, and 2022
- Awarded America's Hottest Brands of 2020 by AdAge
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed over $1 billion in prepaid reservations
- Named one of 2019's 50 Startups to Watch
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain's Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
Tock is the only all-in-one system for reservations, takeout, delivery, and events. We are changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe.
Squarespace is a leading all-in-one website building and ecommerce platform that enables millions to build a brand and transact with their customers in an impactful and beautiful online presence. Our suite of products enables anyone at any stage of their journey to manage their projects and businesses through websites, domains, ecommerce, marketing tools, and scheduling, along with tools for managing a social media presence with Unfold and hospitality business management via Tock. Squarespace democratizes access to best-in-class design, helping our customers in approximately 200 countries and territories maintain consistent branding across all digital touch points to stand out online. Our team of more than 1,400 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Ireland, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, California and Chicago, Illinois. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com .
Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Tock, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.