Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005–now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution to this problem, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn his simple idea into a robust platform and change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of March 2020):
- Awarded Built In's "2020 Best Places to Work"
- Announced Tock’s platform will be powering JP Morgan Chase’s new Dining Program
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed over $705 million in prepaid reservations
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain's Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
- Named one of 2019's 50 Startups to Watch
What you’ll do
You'll be helping us build and scale the next generation restaurant reservation system, based on the tried and true system deployed at world-class restaurants such as Alinea, Next, The French Laundry, and more.
Your role will be a Site Reliability Engineer. We expect you’ll contribute your own roadmap and priorities as you go, but in general, your responsibilities will include:
- Evaluating and building out new infrastructure components when the need arises.
- Maintaining and scaling our existing fleet of virtual machines and Kubernetes clusters.
- Partnering with product development teams to design and implement new features, with a particular focus on whole-system robustness and performance.
- Enhancing the observability of the serving stack, giving everyone more tools to troubleshoot and understand what prod is up to.
- Automating away toil as you come across it.
- Participating in the production oncall rotation, including incident response and driving improvements through blameless post-mortems.
- Mentoring and educating your colleagues in your areas of expertise.
Our team is fairly small (a dozen engineers and a few product designers), so we’re looking for folks who are comfortable working across the whole serving stack, and aren’t afraid to pick up new things as they go. That also means there’s a great opportunity for you to make a difference!
What we’re looking for
- At least 3 years of experience in a site reliability or software engineering role.
- Familiarity with modern web application stacks, from client-side frontend apps, to API-based backend, to underlying infrastructure like databases.
- Experience in building and maintaining production infrastructure on cloud platforms.
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems.
- Ability to debug and optimize code, as well as automate routine tasks.
- A desire for ownership, and ability to work well with little direction.
- A preference for experimentation and data-driven decision making.
- Strong communication skills.
Specific experience in any of the following is welcome, but not required – we trust you to pick up new things as you go, and bring your expertise in things we don’t know yet!
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP), in particular Compute Engine (GCE) and Kubernetes Engine (GKE).
- Terraform and Ansible for infrastructure management.
- Java (backend) and Typescript (frontend) programming languages.
- Databases and related systems: MariaDB (MySQL), Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka.
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen and nitro coffee on tap
- Sunny office in Chicago's West Loop neighborhood
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.