Chief of Staff - Human Resources at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Reporting directly to the Chief People Officer, the Chief of Staff role is a force-multiplier for her. You will wear many hats, your core responsibility lies in the definition and execution of strategic operational projects. You will lead the operational rhythm of the team, manage the priorities and all aspects of staff operations as we grow and spearhead special projects. This is a new position for the HR team at Upwork
We are seeking someone who can elevate the way our organization impacts the business. We want your expertise, insights, and passion to facilitate effective collaboration, consistent communication, and impactful insights for our work.Your Responsibilities:
- Define, drive, and refine the operational cadence of the organization, ensuring it relates to the broader calendar of the business and crafts space for HR to be a proactive team.
- Ensuring alignment within the HR Leadership team and throughout the organization.
- Incubation of new initiatives as appropriate and then spinning them off to other teams, or winding them down entirely and integrating our findings to future efforts.
- Cross functional leadership and influence with Legal, FP&A, and other critical partners.
- Advocating for all HR priorities, from L&D to DIBs to TA to Career Pathing to our Hybrid Workforce, especially when their leaders are not in the room.
- Sparring with CPO -- pushing her to be stronger leader, and advocating for key priorities.
- Leading the budget, headcount, and metrics of the HR organization, including ensuring that correct priorities are measured and constantly improving.
- You are motivated by our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives
- You know that HR can be a strategic advantage for a company, and you are confident and have the data that you can push that even further at Upwork
- You can operate at the highest strategic level, while still representing and connecting with the most tactical challenges
- You are comfortable driving multiple, disparate initiatives at once and adapting as priorities shift - you have the tools and approaches to limit the burden
- Strength to speak the truth, especially when it’s hard and have a clear and compassionate communication style
- Eagerness to go first when ambitious problems arise - you are happy to be in the thick of it with a team.
- You seek out partnerships and offer help before others have realized it would be beneficial
- You are great with broad corporate priorities and minute individual details and see how they are interwoven and interdependent
- You are comfortable in a fully remote environment
- You are already thinking about all the things we didn’t include in this job description that you know would make us better
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.