About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries Inc. (“Green Thumb”), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, promotes well-being through the power of cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. Green Thumb manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Beboe, Dogwalkers, Dr. Solomon’s, incredibles, Rythm and The Feel Collection. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, Green Thumb has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 96 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, Green Thumb employs over 1,700 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. The company was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business and MG Retailer magazine in 2018 and 2019. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, this leader brings a strong background and interest in leading compensation and HR operations in an emerging, high-growth, public company. Our company has a great and diverse team of employees across our manufacturing, retail, and corporate groups who have joined us through organic growth and acquisition. We look to optimize and align our compensation and benefits mix and investment to attract, retain, and motivate our people in line with our growth strategy. In addition to ensuring our compensation plans are well-understood, valued, and flawlessly administered, this position will strengthen our systems and reporting, manage risk, cultivate our talent, and develop the right amount of process as we grow. We are looking for someone who welcomes solving problems, exceptional business judgment, relationship skills, and the ability to be hands-on and execute for impact. This position is based at our headquarters in Chicago, IL.
Responsibilities - Leadership
- Partners with the CPO and Rewards team to continue to strengthen our compensation plans and HR operations.
- Develops rewards, payroll, and HRIS team members and function to grow bench strength and expertise. Inspires team spirit among the team. Leads change effectively. Provides backup and support.
- Communication: Builds relationships and establishes a strategic communication loop with the HR and recruiting team members including in our sites regarding compensation and benefits matters.
Responsibilities - Compensation & Annual Review Process
- Partners with the CPO and business stakeholders to execute and communicate the organization’s compensation plans to attract and retain top talent and optimize compensation spend.
- Supports the CPO for preparing compensation committee, management, and shareholder materials in a clear and concise manner.
- Develops and manages the compensation database, currently in Excel.
- As requested, benchmarks key positions for base pay, bonus, equity. Support the development of compensation guidelines.
- Oversees recognition programs execution, including design, costing, execution.
Responsibilities - Equity Plan Administration
- Administers the equity programs, including maintenance of data (e.g., new hires, terminations, agreements, etc.) and account information in the Global Shares database, ensuring that all participant equity plan transactions (RSU and options grants, exercises, releases, vesting forfeitures, etc.) are correctly processed and settled in a timely manner.
- Serves as an equity administration resource to participants, vendors, and business partners, providing them with complete and accurate information. Partners with Finance, Legal, and Payroll for accurate reporting including for SEC filings (e.g., proxy) and with internal and external auditors to perform routine audits. Adheres to all SOX and other established controls, reviewing and updating controls as needed. Manages our Global Shares vendor.
- Completes surveys and assists with compiling benchmark data for equity plans.
Responsibilities - Benefits
- Partners with the team to develop and deliver strategic recommendations to ensure benefit programs meet the needs of the business and diverse workforce and meet compliance requirements.
- Leads the annual process, including strategic and financial planning for good and informed decisions.
Responsibilities - M&A
- Play a lead HR role in M&A planning, review, and integration.
Responsibilities - Compliance & Operations
- Policies and Process: Identifies, recommends, and executes against opportunities to strengthen and simplify our policies, systems, and processes.
- Regulatory Compliance: Collaborates with legal and finance teams on regulatory matters to comply with all compensation and operational regulations.
- Metrics: Develops HR metrics to communicate trends and monitor progress for continuous improvement (e.g., diversity, attrition, trends, annual review process, benefits)
- Bachelor’s Degree. MBA or JD a plus
- 7+ years progressively responsible and hands-on business experience in compensation, equity plans, benefits, and HR systems and reporting with market-leading companies. Combination of large and early stage companies
- Public company experience required
- Experience with a premier global compensation advisory organization a plus
- Exceptional business judgment with an entrepreneurial style and a client-service and practical approach.
- Natural rapport-builder with exceptional collaboration and communication skills
- Exceptional ability to work with, influence, coach, and facilitate at all levels
- History of building positive relationships internally and externally
- Enjoys change and adapts constructively
- Ability to work in an unstructured and changing environment to execute against priorities
- Personal commitment to the highest standards of work product, confidentiality, and integrity
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of GTI
- Must have a solid understanding of the Medical Marijuana laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws.
At Green Thumb, we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. Green Thumb is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description