Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
Upwork craves community: the feeling of belonging, and thriving together. We are proud of the company we’ve built and the values and mission which are foundational to who we are drive our business forward. We also know there are areas we can strengthen. We want you to help us become the Upwork we aspire to be.
Many of us, at all levels of the company, consider DIBS our responsibility. We believe that no one person can solve the challenges of creating a workplace that is welcoming and an incubator for brilliance at all intersections. That said, we know that having a leader who can drive our initiatives more cohesively, help us understand what other companies who are doing this well focus on above all else, and challenge us actively and often, will help us tremendously on this journey.
So, we are looking for our very first Head of DIBS. We are looking for you.
Please think about reaching out if you are:
- Passionate about belonging and inclusion
- Fired up about creating successful business outcomes through people initiatives
- An eager learner and motivating teacher
- A committed cross functional leader
- Motivated by our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives
- Not afraid to challenge the status quo and say things nobody else will
- Excited to dig into this with us, and be willing to correct course as we learn more
- Committed to working hard, even when it’s hard
- Open to holding space for those who will disagree with your priorities and engaging in conversations with those who have questions
In this role you will:
- Partner throughout our business to interweave DIBs in all we do
- Assess which metrics matter and then implement ways to track and improve them over time
- Represent Upwork externally and internally on matters relating to DIBs
- Learn and help Upwork learn from experts and practitioners about innovative ways to foster a culture which is inclusive for all members of our community
- Be a critical member of the HR leadership team and trusted advisor to our executive team
- Partner with our ERG leaders to ensure they are resourced and supported
- Provide coaching to Upwork’s people managers on being more inclusive leaders and partner with L&D to create engaging trainings and educational opportunities for everyone at Upwork
- Create and own programs and initiatives which foster our culture of belonging and inclusion, and measure the success of the programs against the metrics you’ve developed
- Explore our potential areas of impact socially and make recommendations on how to move Upwork forward.
Your background will include some HR, DIBs, or employment-law related experience and a familiarity with the benefits and challenges of a DIBs program. Your passion for DIBS and motivation to create change will be what sets you apart. We don’t prioritize nor require college education. We expect that you will have had 7+ years of influencing others in a professional environment. We know that you’ll have a track record of driving results cross functionally, and you’ll be able to build on that with us.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.