HR Business Partner, Retail at Green Thumb
The HR Business Partner (HRBP) is a critical role on Green Thumb’s People Team. This role will be based out of our Chicago office and support our growing and evolving Retail team. The HRBP support and align the business objectives and our talent to scale our rapid growth. The HR Business Partner assesses and anticipates talent and development needs for the designated employee population out spanning over some Central and Eastern locations, communicating proactively with the Retail Regional Director and Retail Leadership to develop integrated solutions that reflect the business objectives of the organization.
Our ideal candidate will possess strong working knowledge of traditional human resources functions including employee relations, talent and performance management, compliance, employment law and generalist capacity of benefits, leaves, recruitment but most importantly, can apply them with a progressive approach. You will provide strategic perspectives to your business leaders where you evolve into an extension of the team. As the initial point of contact for all employee and personnel issues, you are deliberate and thoughtful in your approach to partner with your business leaders but still acting as a confidant to employees with the goal of creating a high performing, engaged team and culture. You are pragmatic, a leader, and most importantly, someone who enjoys the high-touch approach and are thrilled with non-stop action.
- People Liaison: You are the liaison between the Leadership and our employees for compensation, benefits, development, and employee relations. Additionally, you are the key to communicating change.
- Culture Consigliore: As a member of the People team, you are part of the heartbeat of Green Thumb; you will assist in how to scale and enhance our culture as it relates to employee engagement and being a great place to work in the emerging cannabis industry.
- Employee Relations: Serve as a confidential resource to the business unit employees and managers whether it be handling and escalating any employee relations issue in partnership with the People team and in-house/outside counsel. You can confidently advise the business leaders by collecting and compiling applicable information especially as it relates to formal investigation process. You look for patterns and make recommendations to stay ahead of issues.
- Employment Law and Leave Policies/Administration: Well-versed in federal and state employment law and fluent in leave policies and administration for our employees and liaising with our compensation department. Must be able to understand overarching laws and help our employees understand their role in ensuring legal and internal policy compliant leaves.
- Program Development and Process Improvement: Bring innovative and pragmatism to designing and delivering programs and processes for a simple and scalable approach.
- Talent and Performance Management: Strategize with business leaders and make recommendations to maximize our team’s performance whether it’s developing and defining opportunities, engagement, and talent development and succession planning.
- Relationship Management: Create and maintain strong and trusting relationships across the organization; partner cross-functionally with the Retail management and leadership team, internal People team to ensure that the team can grow, scale, and exceed business objectives.
- Change Management: Advise, and when necessary, lead in change management initiatives in business units by clearly understanding the strategic move and assisting with a communication plan and presenting recommendations to mitigate risks and ensure success in the change, as it relates to, personnel moves, M&A, or other organizational changes.
- There will be one-off projects, process improvements, and ability to partner with other centers of excellence, specifically with Payroll & Benefits and Talent Acquisition.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources, Organizational Development
- 10+ years of experience as a strategic HR Business Partner experience with employee relations or operating in a strategic business aspect; SPHR, PHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP Certification, preferred and hands-on business experience with premier, market-leading companies
- Experience supporting a retail or high-growth, fast-paced and complex work environment, a plus
- Experience with large population of hourly employees and providing regional support, a plus
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to influence and confidently interface with all levels of the organization
- Highly motivated, self-directed and passionate about our people and our company but the ability to remain objective, business-oriented, and rational
- Effective organization and planning skills as well as solid analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills – our systems and processes are manual and at times, administrative – must be able to keep up with proper documentation, filing and follow-up
- Strong business acumen and proven ability to integrate HR and business strategies: understanding of business/financial metrics and experience with managing the challenges associated with selected business partnerships, mergers/acquisitions, and organizational restructuring
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and coaching skills
- Impeccable attention to detail; in fact, include “I am your CANNABEST HR Business Partner” in your cover letter
- Experience in high-growth and dynamic and national Retail brick and mortar footprint
- Entrepreneurial and pragmatic
- Operationally strong, detail obsessed. Sees the big picture and understands how things connect. Must be able to operate at both strategical and tactical levels and appreciates that sorting the details is a requirement
- Track record of partnering with the leadership team and hands-on execution
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must be approved by state badging agency to work in cannabis industry