Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, pickup and delivery, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005—now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. From the start they were spending an average of $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations, problems Nick wanted to solve. Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to do just that — to design and develop a new, robust reservation platform to change the way people around the world search, book, and dine.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of May 2020):
- Awarded Built In’s “2020 Best Places to Work”
- Announced Tock’s platform will be powering JP Morgan Chase’s new Dining Program
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed almost $1 billion in prepaid reservations
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain's Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
- Named one of 2019's 50 Startups to Watch
As a Finance Intern you will be integral to the operations of Tock. You will be responsible for managing our customers’ plans and billing set up, banking activity, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and General Ledger integrity. As a Finance Intern, you will work with renowned restaurants, gain an understanding of the startup tech industry as well as software as a service (SaaS). The successful candidate is currently pursuing an Accounting, Finance or Business degree, is detail oriented, manages their time well, demonstrates excellent communication skills and enjoys being part of a team.
What we're looking for
- Bachelor’s Degree In Progress
- Ability to work 20 hours per week
- Ability to work remotely until the office reopens (est. Summer 2021)
- Ability to work in person in our Chicago offices once office reopens (est. Summer 2021)
- Detail Oriented
- Ability to understand the terminology used in the hospitality industry
- Must be a quick learner with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic and high level of professionalism
- Experience using Excel / Google Sheets spreadsheets
What you’ll do
- Assist with new customer set up, billing and requests
- Process daily cash deposits and payments
- Manage Accounts Receivable and follow up with customers as needed
- Manage Accounts Payable and follow up with vendors as needed
- Gain exposure to Financial Statement management and analysis
- Ad hoc projects as time permits
What we offer
- Competitive hourly rate
- Flexible schedule
- As part of application process, in under 200 words, please answer the following questions in a cover letter format: Why do you want to work for Tock and why do you think you would be a good fit?
- Ideal Hire Date: Early January 2020
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.