Director - Industrial IoT
McDonald's operates 37,000+ restaurants across 120+ countries. Each restaurant can contain a significant amount of critical networked devices that need to be authenticated, secured, remotely updated, and monitored. As McDonald’s continues to innovate and disrupt the restaurant industry, we are looking to add an ambitious, forward-thinking Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) Technical director to own and define the IIoT end to end platform strategy and roadmap. You will be assessing McDonald's current landscape of tools, processes, and standards as well as many in-
This position will be based out of our headquarters in Chicago, with some time spent at our Innovation Center in Romeoville, IL.
What you need:
- You have a degree in Computer Science / Engineering
- You possess 10+ years of technically focused experience – with expertise in the hosting and infrastructure, connectivity, networking, device management
- You are passionate for new technologies and the commitment to find ways to implement better tools and processes
- Proven track record of developing and bringing to market complex, connected offerings at significant scale
- High level knowledge of upcoming IIoT technologies
- IIoT understanding from connectivity, management and data management perspective
- You're experienced in embedded systems and platforms, including Edge and Cloud computing
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us to build an even better McDonald's. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing experiences while delivering incredible value and quality in the food we serve.
McDonald's is a people business just as much as it is a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand on the planet by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy.
The Quick Service Industry requires quick thinking: our work culture is flexible and dynamic to ensure we are executing with pace and sharing our latest ideas. Our new, state-of-the art headquarters is located in the booming West Loop area in the heart of downtown Chicago. It is set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration and innovation: take a class at Hamburger University, sample future menu items in our Test Kitchen, grab a McCafe on any floor or utilize the latest technology to connect to your team around the globe. With an onsite café and our 8000 square foot gym (and a McDonald's, of course!), our office helps us connect with each other like never before.
We are moving fast and are adding to our world-class team. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world. We are customer obsessed, committed to being leaders in our industry and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last year, we have launched home delivery, radically enhanced the digital experiences of our restaurants, introduced mobile pay and have so much more to come. With all the new projects and initiatives, it is an exciting time to be on the team that is helping to make a Better McDonald's.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will be assessing McDonald’s current landscape of tools, processes and standards as well as the many in-flight projects to define a strategic roadmap to modernize our restaurants in the IIoT space. This will include both strategic views as well as tactical roadmaps to pragmatically implement improved technologies
- You will take ownership of leading the tracks of work to define the needs, assess and select vendors, and develop and deploy the platform
- Collaborate the technical architecture, strategy, and roadmap, of the IIoT platform (Edge and Cloud), including hardware, software and communication protocols.
- Work with the architecture and networking teams and outside experts to ensure the technical direction for IIOT is well thought through and socialised
- Leading, planning, and managing at both strategic and operational levels while balancing short-term and long-term needs of the business and project
- You will be driving execution of day-to-day work to develop solutions (idea generation, solution development, business case analysis)
- Developing and evaluating business cases and the ability to effectively advocate for necessary investments
- Deliver concise, compelling, data driven business recommendations as you update the leadership team and decision-makers on project status and progress
- Develop supporting documentation and blueprinting and help create and enhance operational procedures
- Establish and ensure scalable and consistent architectural principles are in place
- Lead ongoing solution life-cycle evaluation around ideation, launch, refresh and support
- Ability to work with Solution Architects to figure out application design approach and dependencies