The Group: Morningstar’s Business Development & Sales group is responsible for helping our advisor and institutional clients build their businesses and provide better outcomes for investors. The group is structured primarily along the following client segments: Advisor, Asset Management, Retirement, Redistributor, and Commodities & Energy.
The Role: Business Development Executives on the Mid-Market sales team generate revenue for Morningstar by effectively driving new company business. They develop new relationships by assessing prospective clients’ needs, and apply a consultative approach to assemble creative solutions from Morningstar’s diverse portfolio of product offerings. This person must quickly develop a thorough understanding of our capabilities and how our solutions solve problems. This position requires client-facing travel within an assigned territory and is based in our Chicago office.
- Aggressively grow new business among prospective firms within an assigned territory
- Proactively uncover upgrade opportunities among current Advisor Workstation customers
- Conduct sales demonstrations of Morningstar capabilities and solutions
- Build a network of prospects within an assigned territory through industry conferences, trade associations, and custodial relationships
- Act as a liaison between prospective customers and our Software Sales Engineers to complete thorough and effective solution evaluations
- Collaborate with other Mid-Market colleagues to lead outreach and direct sales opportunities
- Facilitate at least 90 combined sales demonstrations and meetings per quarter
- Document your activities in SFDC
- A bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of two years of financial services industry sales experience, with a proven record of success
- A creative approach to problem-solving
- Direct exposure to the financial marketplace is desirable, as is a comfort level with technology and software
- Excellent listening, communication, negotiation, and relationship-building skills
- Alignment with Morningstar’s core values and mission to empower investor success