Sales Director, Advertising at Morningstar
The Advertising Sales Director will apply consultative sales skills to achieve business revenue goals for our advertising offering including digital media, print and conferences/events. Morningstar websites serve the individual investor, advisor and institutional investor audiences. We monetize our websites through display ad campaigns and sponsorships. This position requires a strong knowledge of both advertising and finance in order to be successful. In addition, this role will establish Morningstar as a partner and resource with clients and champion Morningstar through participation in industry organizations. This is a sales role focused on results. This role will be responsible for lead generation activities, as well as building a pipeline of potential business from both new and existing clients, and competently closing business. The Advertising Sales Director will maintain a superior customer service focus and will work closely with team members to drive success. This position is based in our Chicago office and reports to the Head of Audience Sales. Currently Morningstar is working semi-remotely.
- Achieve and exceed annually set advertising revenue targets through new business and by growing revenue from an existing client base.
- 70% of time focused on business development activities.
- Manage and optimize campaigns for existing clients, seeking innovative ways to enhance our Morningstar value proposition.
- Develop and implement territory business plan and execute against specific business development/prospecting tactics.
- Understand the content, presentation and development of the Morningstar audience solutions offerings including digital, print and conferences, research new advertisers, and manage the sales process.
- Adhere to all internal procedures and business requirements, including preparation of proposals and contract agreements.
- Maintain client and prospect database, create monthly reports and communicate effectively with internal team and management.
- Ensure client deliverables are met and fulfill contract obligations.
- Maintain knowledge of financial/digital industry and champion Morningstar through active participation in industry organizations.
- Excel at teamwork and relationship-building within the company in order to implement account strategies across Morningstar teams.
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken, together with developed relationship-building skills.
- Excellent use of presentation capabilities to sell the value proposition and demonstrate consultative sales capabilities.
- Excellent use of negotiation skills.
- Self-motivated individual, with a goal-orientated approach, and a desire to exceed targets.
- Proven ability to work both in a team environment and independently when required.
- 3-5 years' experience with solution-based selling techniques is required, preferably within in the financial industry.
- Three to five years of business development experience and account management experience.
- Proven track record of managing sales growth and an aptitude for building strong client relationships.
- Experience in working with Powerpoint, Excel, and Salesforce.
- Knowledge with ad serving and inventory management systems is a plus.
- Currently travel is limited; once fully reinstated, travel is required 30% - 40% each month throughout the Midwest and Canada.
Nice to have
Successful track record in advertising sales
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity