At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
This position supports the department by sourcing, qualifying and contracting vendors, building collaborative relationships, monitoring and developing their performance, and acting as the prime point of contact for vendors over commercial, contractual and practical arrangements. The position is expected to use independent judgment and discretion to locate vendors and negotiate terms with those vendors in a way best benefitting the Company.
- Interview, identify and qualify new vendors in assigned market and service lines; establish and grow relationships with vendors through direct communication to achieve seamless, high-quality service and advantageous pricing
- Negotiate pricing and service terms with vendors for contracted services while maintaining margin requirements
- Communicate with vendors on insurance and other compliance requirements; ensure vendor meets the minimum requirements to work for the Company
- Ensure proper and timely onboarding of new client accounts; initiate the recurrence of existing seasonal accounts
- Analyze opportunities and risks with vendors and vendor onboarding team; recommends resolution to leadership
- Analyze location alignment and capacity opportunities; recommends improvements to leadership
- Understand varying scopes of work of our clients and convey those requirements to vendors
- Establish and grow relationships with vendors
- Take ownership of complex issues escalated by the client independently and with a sense of urgency; maintains responsibility for ultimate resolution and escalates the most consequential issues to department leadership with actionable recommendations for solutions
- Work with operations team to identify and terminate underperforming vendors
- Foster a positive team environment
- Ensure confidentiality and accuracy of internal and external data
- Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
- Must be available to adjust work schedule during high peak periods when necessary
- Travel, as needed, to meet vendors and assess and identify opportunities of growth or improvement of processes (potential travel of 10%)
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Customer Service – Proficient
- Verbal Communication – Proficient
- Written Communication – Proficient
- Teamwork – Proficient
- Relationships – Proficient
- Negotiation – Advanced
- Organizational Awareness – Proficient
- Learning Agility – Proficient
- Analysis – Proficient
- Problem Solving – Advanced
- Process Orientation – Proficient
- Prioritization – Proficient
Role Specific Skills
- Excellent Microsoft product skills - high-level experience with Excel and Word required
- Experience/ability to setup/lead meetings or plan remote business events required
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Experience in Facilities, Supply chain, or Procurement preferred
- 3-5 years customer service or related experience preferred