Director Human Resources Business Risk at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Director of Human Resources Business Risk will have oversight of building and leading a best-in-class HR Risk function. Reporting to the Vice President of Total Rewards, this role will be responsible for creating and identifying risk frameworks while driving holistic strategies for manage it. This leader will serve as the face of HR Risk and will liaison with partners across Legal, Compliance and Corporate Risk Management functions, while developing business-unit specific approaches.
The position will ensure accurate and timely implementation across all risk disciplines across Human Resources. In addition, this Director will oversee the process design, control flow/systems, reporting, testing, remediation, and third party management while leading a high-performing team to develop our future-state HR Risk department.
- Work collaboratively with senior executives and other functional teams to proactively identify, assess, management and mitigate key risks while developing and executing risk assessments
- Ensure changes in laws and regulation are properly embedded into the control environment
- Provide leadership & SME advice and support to the global organization to ensure ongoing maintenance and effective risk management
- Maintain and develop a top-performing HR Risk team while adhering to established Leader Standard Work schedule (Coaching, Floor Walks, Process Confirmations)
- Oversee development and implementation of job aids and tools to facilitate efficient completion of policy and standard requirements
- Provide education and risk guidance to business partners and ensure policies, standards, procedures, risks and controls are implemented, monitored and executed
- Ensure effective identification and implementation of controls and their design to manage operational, financial and compliance risks / assessments
- Provide independent post-launch oversight of initiatives and report results to management
- Monitor the risk and control environment for weaknesses and identify solutions to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of controls while overseeing the timely completion of the control testing (BUTM) plan
- Provide education and monitor employees on requirements of company policies and standards related to Risk Reporting, Operational Risk Events, Root Cause Analysis, and Issues Management
- Manage remediation projects and ensure detailed escalation plans are in place for risk issues
- Oversee timely completion of complex projects in the areas of Exam Management, Control Workflow and Standardization Solutions, Departmental Continuous Improvement
- Review DMS barometer results and develop action plans for negative engagement trends
- Model DMS/Shingo principles and coach teams on the same
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred
- 10+ year’s minimum experience in general business or related field.
- Financial Services experience preferred
- Experience executing risk strategies specific to Human Resources preferred
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.