Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services (DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As part of the Talent function, the Vice President of Talent Performance and Development is responsible for leading a center of excellence focused on the design, development and delivery of the strategy, processes, programs and tools needed to manage performance, assess potential and develop the people of Discover Financial Services (DFS).. This executive will champion the company’s efforts to drive these processes and culture that allows employees to improve their performance and plan for critical talent both now and in the future to meet strategic business goals.
The role has 3 major functions:
In partnership with other leaders across HR, set the performance and development strategies for DFS and ensure alignment with the corporate business strategy. Lead a team of organizational development (OD) professionals to deliver the company wide strategy, programs, processes and tools that identify and develop talent. Develop and implement Company-wide cyclical programs including performance management, leadership development, Employee Opinion Survey, succession planning, etc.
- Partner with Total Rewards, DE & I Team, Talent Acquisition and HR Consulting to develop practices that deliver the talent strategy in support of the business objectives.
- Lead a team to provide development planning, performance management, talent assessment, succession planning, career development, employee mobility, team building, employee engagement/culture surveys, high-potential talent identification, and change management services to client groups within DFS.
- Provide strategic direction for the talent performance and development function and build strong relationships with HR Consulting and DE & I Team to support mission and critical business objectives. Lead the development, communication and implementation of practical talent solutions that anticipate and act on business opportunities/challenges.
- Serves as the key resource, expert and thought leader regarding talent development, performance management, employee engagement approaches and organizational structure.
- Champion’s new approaches and solutions that help internal clients grow the business and increase profitability.
- Works closely with other Discover departments to develop innovative, cross-company people practices that attract and retain a diverse and highly competent workforce. Actively supports the goals of the organization as a whole and serves as an integrator of the efforts and viewpoints of multiple stakeholders.
- Drives continuous improvement using a combination of process discipline and innovation.
- Identifies weak or non-existent processes, analyzes organizational impact and takes action to build or strengthen them as needed.
- Tracks, analyzes and provides reports to measure the effectiveness of people strategies. Links measurement tools to strategic objectives and uses them to assess progress against goals.
- Develops dashboards or other tools to enable HR Consulting to manage talent within their business unit(s).
- Manages large-scale change management projects including implementation of performance management tools, succession planning approaches and initiatives arising from employee surveys. Leverages the expertise of internal and external relationships to quickly anticipate risks, build buy-in and manage change in a fast paced and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to require standards and processes.
- Master’s degree or other equivalent experience in Organization Development, Organizational Behavior, Industrial/Organizational Psychology or related HR field.
- Minimum 15 years’ experience in Organization Development, Talent Management, Learning and/or Change Management.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience managing people.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to consult with all levels of management.
- Strong problem solving and design thinking skills.
- Large scale project and change management expertise.
- Knowledge of current talent solutions, techniques and tools.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.