Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As a claims adjuster trainee, you'll learn how to help customers in their time of need. This is not a field position which means you'll be building relationships with customers over the phone and via chat and email too. It’s important you’re knowledgeable in property insurance, so we will help you obtain your adjuster’s license. In a fast-paced environment, you'll learn how to resolve claims efficiently while managing the claims process from start to finish.
You'll have the support of a collaborative team and ongoing coaching from leaders. We'll also teach you the insurance stuff - providing in-depth training on property damage and insurance contracts so you can confidently and independently adjust claims. Working from home, you'll be provided virtual training and onboarding.
Duties & responsibilities (upon completion of training)
- Determine coverage
- Determine liability (who's at fault for the damages)
- Partner with field appraisers to manage home estimates/repairs
- Negotiate with customers and contractors and resolve claims
A day in the life could also include:
- Assists in general handling of correspondence and other file-related information.
- Processes approved payments in the claims system.
- Answers inbound calls from customers regarding existing claims and provides exceptional customer service while providing status updates
- Assists in filing new loss claims reported via phone, email or fax
- Assists in running ISO and other reporting analysis and uploads into claim files
- Processes inbound and outbound documents and checks
- Assists with vendor questions
- When time permits, we’d love your help in updating forms, policies, procedures, and training materials. Our business is constantly growing and it’s important we make changes in real time.
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- Superior customer service skills
- Empathy towards others
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Planning, prioritizing and organizing
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced, team environment with limited structure
- Attention to detail
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Proficient in Google suite or similar tools and ideally comfortable navigating multiple tools and windows at the same time
- A need for efficiency, always looking for ways to make processes better
- Bilingual Spanish speaker a plus, but not required
- Ability to work mandatory overtime as needed in the event of high claim volume due to a catastrophic event.
- Successful obtainment of 6-20 license contingent on transitioning to an adjuster position.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.