Director Enterprise Risk at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description The Role:
The Director of Enterprise Risk will contribute to DFS' capability to understand, control and articulate the nature and level of risks taken in pursuit of a risk adjusted return. Responsible for driving our objective of ensuring that ERM is a competitive advantage. Responsible for our enterprise risk management frameworks and strategy and provide an independent view of aggregate risk faced by DFS. This visible role will work closely with business and risk oversight leaders (credit, market, liquidity, strategic, operational, compliance and legal risk) to drive necessary action and will communicate findings to executive management and the board of directors.Responsibilities:
- Executes enhancements to risk appetite frameworks on refining key risk metrics and establishing linkage to various limit structures, building on existing reporting for senior management and Board, and extending the linkages between risk appetite and the firm’s strategic planning, capital planning and risk identification processes
- Delivers the end-to-end update, review and challenge of the firm’s risk appetite framework, including deepening internal networks with senior management to ensure robust and relevant content and stakeholder participation. Lead DFS quarterly risk profile reporting cycle in tight coordination with risk leadership to assess changes to risk profile as a result of internal and external environment for presentation to executive management and board of directors
- Works constructively and collaboratively with others to accomplish timely resolution of requirements, findings, limit breaches and leadership objectives
- Uses analytics to understand themes and trends across multiple risk types (market, liquidity, credit, operational, strategic, compliance risks) along with the impact of those themes and trends and facilitate the discussion of actions to address the relevant issues
- Develops ERM metrics and reporting on emerging and significant risks, and the effectiveness of mitigation plans, for risk owners, senior leadership and the board of directors
- Leads the development, maintenance, and implementation of a coherent set of DFS’s ERM standards including policy, risk appetite and KRI standards, issues management standards and other bespoke risk management frameworks
- Forges strong partnerships with leaders throughout the company to enhance collaboration, advise and consult on risk reduction and mitigation strategies, and facilitate escalation when challenging first line decisions. Develop effective working relationships and communications with staff and ensure that staff are motivated, developed and supported
- Acts as primary liaison on ERM related questions with regulators, internal and external advisors and other risk oversight groups
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Business or Analytics, Master's in Analytics preferred
- 10+ years of Risk management experience in a financial environment with specific focus on enterprise risk management or internal audit or related
- 4+ years of experience managing people
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.