Strategy- Operations Business Manager
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $4 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the retail investing/ trading operations, middle and back offices processes, including execution, clearance and settlement workflows (e.g. products, front to back flows, strategic plan, initiatives, etc.).
- Coordinate and manage relationships with key functions internally, including Technology/ Development, Operations, Compliance, Finance and Customer service and help manage third party vendors
- Work with operations teams to collect, prioritize and communicate product-related challenges to be considered by product/ engineering in future development.
- Map current state process workflows and partner with stakeholders to develop and implement target future state flows.
- Become a trusted partner to and enabler of product management and technology with big picture understanding and the ability to work with and answer day-to-day operation questions from product managers and engineers to help drive automation and future builds.
- Key Role in analysis of and recommendations for operations process (re) engineering and change management.
- Develop and implement front to back workflows and plans for key operational and post trade clearing initiatives.
- Define, measure, and report on progress, status and KPIs to leadership and stakeholders, while continuously measuring the effectiveness of the team efforts.
- Deep understanding of retail brokerage, including front to back execution, clearance & settlement and post trade workflows and retail account management.
- 5+ years working in strategy, business management, operations and/ or compliance at a fintech, investment bank, asset management or financial services institution.
- Experience with driving strategic platform initiatives and/ or change management with cross functional groups.
- Able to operate independently, acting as a self-starter and creative problem solver
- Experienced in delivering against milestones on a timely basis and to a high standard without management intervention.
- Knowledge of SQL and/or data modeling and analysis tools.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
- Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits to our actions
- Team oriented: In working together, we maintain low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to tour values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym