Business Development Manager, Customs & Trade Management at Flexport
Flexport continues to experience significant growth as a technology platform for international trade. Two of the companies core products are Customs and Trade Management. These products are positioned for more than 10x growth in the coming five years. Customs is primarily defined as import brokerage where you’ll be a subject matter expert for our Demand organization. Trade Management is international trade consulting focused on imports. You will act as a subject matter expert helping Demand and CSMs define and solve any import project defined by our prospects and clients. Custom and consulting services require that you have a strong understanding of import trade compliance and can identify a value proposition allowing Flexport to close new business opportunities. We are looking for a seasoned import brokerage and trade compliance expert with a proven track record in selling engagements. The ideal candidate will have industry expertise, excellent communication skills, strong project management skills, intellectual curiosity, and a sales hunter mentality. As a vital member of a small team, you’ll have a greenfield opportunity, with uncapped commission, to help scale our import business to the next level, grow a world-class sales organization, and make an impact on a $2 trillion market.You will:
- Act as a subject matter expert for Customs and Consulting services to include capabilities, differentiators, and service offerings.
- Support Demand/CSMs and increase revenue acquisition by identifying, developing, presenting, and closing business solutions.
- Act as Liaison between Demand and operations in support of the selling process, including sales document drafting, solution design collaboration, and messaging of solutions/product placement in competitive bids.
- Perform background research and lead generation on customer accounts, prospects, competitors, and industry trends supporting sales activities.
- Draft sales documentation, proposals, reports, contracts, and maintenance agreements for large scopes of work, including services to be performed, defined KPIs, company and client responsibilities.
- Keeps abreast of pertinent external and internal developments that impact customs and compliance, such as value proposition, market trends, client needs, and competitive landscape.
- Determines client needs
- Ensures sales take place at the decision-maker or executive sponsor level
- Data gathering of the necessary information to create a proposal
- Interviews of key stakeholders to understand their requirements
- Addresses what success means for each key stakeholder
- Describes the benefits to the client
- Provides/develops the account sales plan with key milestones
- Organizes opportunities and stays engaged with clients to move deals forward.
- Provides thought leadership to the opportunity team.
- Conducts team meetings, project planning, education/training, and communication
- Client needs and expectations management
- Management of project tasks
- Territory management to achieve sales target and objectives
- Training and education of new BD personnel
EDUCATION & YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma, Bachelor’s degree in international business, or other relevant field preferred.
- Minimum of five to ten years of work experience in export and/or import compliance operational management and sales.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Proven record of increasing sales opportunities and successful account management skills, including managing long-term sales cycle process.
- Strong ability to build relationships with key stakeholders at medium multi-national companies or large complex organizations.
- Ability to develop various markets, sales, and management strategies for strategic account planning.
- Capability to recognize and solve issues in the client’s situation.
- Demonstrated experience with identifying process, compliance, and technology gaps within the client environment.
- Strong project management and collaborative skills; must work with all Demand staff and other internal support teams across the company.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management, including C-level.
- Strong ability to resolve issues/concerns and address challenges with tact and diplomacy.
- Must be able to develop confidence with all levels of a client environment, from senior executive management to operational employees.
- Outstanding negotiation skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under fluctuating pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to travel up to 30% with some overnight travel required.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.