Root is seeking a transformative leader to onboard as General Manager of Root Enterprise, the B2B arm of Root Insurance. Reporting to the Chief Strategy and Business Development Officer, this senior leadership position will have ownership and accountability to maximize the potential and return across our B2B offerings. This leader will be formative in driving the next chapter of growth for the business, building on an expansive vision for the application of mobile telematics.
Root was built off the premise that implicit bias in financial services pricing, specifically in auto insurance, could be solved with data science. We built a platform from the ground up, to power our insurance business. This platform is able to uniquely collect, analyze, and predict driving behavior based on how one actually drives through mobile signals (telematics). While Root Insurance utilizes these data science capabilities as part of an end-to-end consumer offering for insurance pricing, we further recognized that the impact of this solution could be broad, offered as a platform through a commercialized B2B relationship. Thus, we launched Root Enterprise.
At Root Enterprise, we’re dedicated to improving the way companies measure and manage driving risk. Our proven mobile telematics platform records and analyzes driving behavior, including braking, acceleration, turning, and distracted driving.
What you'll do
- Own overall strategy and policy for the Root Enterprise (RE) organization, with direct responsibility for all commercial functions and cross-functional responsibility for product vision, delivery, and go-to-market.
- Accountable for the overall P&L of the RE Business Unit. Directly manage sales and customer success resources and metrics.
- Partner with key cross-functional leaders (e.g. Product, Engineering, Data Science, and more) to build a shared vision for the success of RE.
- Manage the business plan, including financial and operational planning (setting and achieving key business metrics as well as product priorities).
- Create and maintain operating budget and overall headcount allocation for RE.
- Provides strategic guidance on the RE go-to-market plan (including setting high-level go-to-market messaging), based on experience, market analysis, and competitive intelligence.
- Identifies growth opportunities and risks.
- Drive key client and prospect relationships at an executive level.
- Drives collaboration with other Root Inc business owners to achieve Root’s overall goals.
What we're looking for
- Strong leadership skills and ability to drive results across cross-functional teams, manage by influence, and work effectively in a matrix organization.
- Mission-driven, with high excitement for the potential of data to drive fairness across industries.
- Exceptional business judgment and critical thinking skills with the ability to use data to quickly establish highest value priorities and develop a strategy to pursue them.
- 10+ years of Industry experience in tech/fintech, with at least 7+ years in Enterprise SaaS, including client-facing experience.
- Proven executive with prior P&L responsibility, excited to dive in and solve problems as a team.
- Strong sales or business development skillset, with ability to lead C-suite negotiations with Fortune 500 companies.
- Proven ability in scaling products that are commercially viable and that create future opportunity.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to identify and provide comprehensive solutions for varying client needs.
- Demonstrated ability to coach teams on critical business skills, including large scale project management capabilities.
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us