Solution Architect, Rx and Healthcare Platform at Walgreens
The Solution Architect performs the leadership, facilitation, analysis and design tasks required to develop solution architectures and ensure they are leveraged. This role is key in providing senior level expertise on decisions and priorities regarding overall architecture. Facilitates the establishment and implementation of standards and guidelines for the design of technology solutions; including the architecting and implementing of solutions that require integration of multiple platforms and applications across the enterprise. Participates in the definition of software architecture to ensure that the IT organization's software solutions are built within a consistent framework and aligned to strategy.
This role will review, advise and design on standard software and system options, risk, cost versus benefit, and impact on the business initiatives. Develops and documents frameworks for integration and implementation in alignment to technical standards. Assists in the architecture governance processes and provides technical guidance to project teams areas as appropriate. This role is also responsible for tracking industry trends and maintaining the knowledge of new technologies to better serve business and technical needs.
Implements activities that generally impact multiple components / processes and the work of own and possibly other teams. Assigned complex undertakings that regularly require the application of independent judgment. Receives work in short– and mid- term outcomes and operates within the context of approved methods.
- Creates design documents that ensure consistency in development across the IT/Engineering organization.
- Participates in the definition of IT/Engineering architecture to ensure that the IT/Engineering organization's solutions are built within a consistent framework.
- Participates in the decision-making processes related to the selection of software architecture solutions.
- Serves as a technical and business-savvy resource to software development engineering personnel on a range of software design issues.
- Implements and improves core software infrastructure. Participates in improving software development lifecycle, technical operations and technology innovation.
- Participates in developing technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools.
- Shares complex information related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology/business solutions.
- Effectively resolves problems and roadblocks as they occur.
- May perform systems and applications performance characterization and trade-off studies through analysis and simulation.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree and at least 4 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role OR High school / GED and at least 7 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role.
- At least 3 years of leadership experience in server side or client side technologies.
- Experience in domain-specific architecture concepts and emerging technologies. (Design patterns, frameworks, current Java based solutions, mobile, OR Infrastructure Administration OR Data Sciences).
- At least 1 year of experience in domain-specific Architecture.
- Experience working with matrix teams including teams in different time zones.
- Experience creating and promoting guiding development principles and influencing development teams, business users and management in adoption of technical solutions.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information technology, Engineering, Science, or Math.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role OR High school / GED and at least 8 years of experience in an IT, Engineering and/or Architect role.
- Experience with solution development methodologies.
- Experience working on an Agile team.
- Experience with microservice design, tiered architectures, and SOA.